Wasps Feel The Heat

24/09/2013 11:04

After a resounding league victory on Saturday in front of a great home crowd, the Wasps travelled to West Yorkshire on Sunday for a National Cup encounter against last years National Shield winners and Division 3 League Champions, the Huddersfield Heat who will be competing in Division 2 this season. The Heat boast a large Spanish contingent with former members of the Spain Junior National Team to compliment some very talented young English players.

With the continuing injuries to Captain John Kelsey, Matt Wilson and Jack Daley and with Lee Brown also missing through an injury picked up in the victory against Childwall Academy, the Wasps would make the trip with only 8 healthy players.
The game began at a frenetic pace, Sosa and Molina (Formerly of Real Madrid) connected on early three point efforts and the Heat ran out to an early 14-6 lead. Good ball movement however kept the Wasps within touching distance early on, good work inside from Guzman and a three pointer from Brough meant the first quarter scoreline was 24-19 in favour of the Heat.
The momentum turned in the second quarter as the Wasps put together a scoring run to bring the game even at 40-40 with only a minute to play in the half, John Stewart attacked the basket with plenty of success and Manuel Guzman continued to mesmerize the Heat big men with dazzling footwork and fakes. At half time however the Heat still held a narrow lead 45-41.
In the second half Matt MacArt began to find his shooting touch, converting on several difficult baseline efforts but Coach Fawcett's squad was beginning to tire. The Heat brought in fresh legs from the bench and began to make the defensive pressure tell as Julio Sosa and Salva Mendez took advantage on the fast break to give the Heat a 66-55 lead heading into the final quarter.
An exhausted Wasps team gave everything they could in the final 10 minutes, Manuel Guzman battled hard for the Wasps against Chris Bigley, formerly of the Mersey Tigers BBL squad. John Stewart also fought valiantly to bring the Wasps back into contention. A technical foul against Huddersfield allowed the Wasps to close the gap temporarily as MacArt sank 4 consecutive free throws but the depth on the Huddersfield bench was the difference as the battered and bruised Wasps team were left wondering what could have been as Huddersfield eventually ran out to a 92-79 victory. They will go on to face the Bradford Dragons in the next round.
Coach Fawcett speaking after the game said "It was a fantastic effort by the guys who played. Obviously we are sad to not come away with anything but I am a coach who always looks for positives. We have some things to work on for our next game and we will get back to it in training this week".
Matthew MacArt lead the scoring for the Wasps with 24, John Stewart finished with 22 and Guzman continued his stellar start with 18.