Wasps Bounce Back Against Carnegie but Lose to Liverpool

04/02/2014 17:23

The Hull Wasps had a double header over the weekend and the opposition could not have been more different. 

Hull Wasps 104 Leeds Allerton Carnegie 40

On Saturday the Wasps entertained Leeds Allerton. Leeds came in with a young squad and the Wasps took full advantage. In the early going, the inside presence of Jack Daley and Jarret Akpoveta really showed how to do it as they kept making inside play after inside play. The defence was solid and gave the Wasps a large 26-8 lead by the end of the 1st quarter. 

The second quarter was a tighter contest as Leeds tried to pull themselves back into contention. However everything Leeds did the Wasps had an answer for. John Stewart took over proceedings in the third quarter and went on to dominate the scoring with the assists of John Kelsey fuelling his baskets.

With game effectively over coach Fawcett was able to run his bench and they stepped in and continued the high level of play. Robin Hewson and Neil Rymer made plays on both ends to keep momentum going, James Coulson and Matt Wilson gave the Wasps a continued defensive edge and Sean Knight played a terrific all-around game. The Wasps ended up running away with the result 104-40.

“We wanted to play a strong game and show how professional we can be we know it’s only one game but they all count.” – Captain John Kelsey

Hull Wasps 66 Liverpool 74

Sunday came round fast and, with that, league leaders Liverpool entered the arena ready for battle. 

This game was exciting before it even tipped off with both teams boasting excellent line ups. In the early going Liverpool took a big advantage going up by as many as 10 mid-way through the first period. Liverpool’s main threat came in the form of their young point guard Jack Hudson. His speed and ability to make plays really hurting the Wasps. 

However in the second quarter the Wasps started to claw back plays from Sean Knight, Jack Daley and Manuel Guzman made it a tight affair and John Stewart managed to get going early and this gave the Wasps their first lead of the game. This was emphatically done with the dunk of the year from Jack Daley on their experienced wing player Calvo. This play got everybody in Ennerdale on their feet. At half time the score was tied at 38. 

The second half played out in similar style with neither team able to gain a large lead. However in the fourth quarter with John Stewart and John Kelsey fouling out on some very interesting calls, Liverpool took the game to the Wasps and ended up winning 74-66; the narrowise victory all season for the unbeaten league-leaders.

“We are obviously upset we didn’t manage to get the job done. And this may mean that promotion is unlikely however we played an excellent game and I cannot be down for too long about that. We have three games left and we will do everything in our power to finish with three wins.” Coach Fawcett